Paint the Day
Art & Craft • Events • Exhibitions • What's On at the NAC
Showing: 20/06/2020 to 20/06/2020
Paint The Day is back for 2020 with a twist!
Wolverhampton’s visual art and photography competition will take place on Sat 20th June 2020.
The sixth annual PAINT THE DAY is open to professional, amateur and under 18s artists and photographers alike.
This year, the one day event challenges artists to create a masterpiece in just 8 hours, capturing a scene within a mile radius of their home address. From traditional watercolours to experimental photography, you can interpret the scene in any visual style.
Paint the Day 2020 is part of the Midsummer Festival, a free one-day festival celebrating arts and culture in the West Midlands on Saturday 20th June.
Your finished picture will then be displayed in a virtual online exhibition from Sunday 21st June and there will be a real world show in the gallery hall at Newhampton Arts Centre later in the Autumn (date to be confirmed).
Over £500 in prizes including Overall First Prize, Photography, U-18 and Public Vote. Judging will take place and prizes awarded at the real world show later in the year.
All entries will be displayed in FREE public exhibition in the Autumn, when audiences can bid to buy the work.
Paint the Day 2020
Terms and Conditions
1. Participants will have up to 8 hours to create a work of art outdoors/indoors in the designated area (within 1 mile of their home address).
2. Any visual medium capable of hanging on a flat wall may be used. (Past entries have included drawing, watercolour, pastels, acrylics, oil paint, photography, embroidery).
3. If the weather is bad, participants may work under cover or indoors.
4. Artists must email an image of their artwork to email@example.com by 5pm on Saturday 20th June 2020. For the online exhibition the emailed image must be in the following format:
We recommend a file-size between 500kb and 5mb – saved as compressed high-quality jpg. The image-width of large pieces of art should be about 1900px.
Files must be less than 5 MB.
Allowed file types: png jpg jpeg.
Images must be smaller than 5000×5000 pixels.
5. A maximum of one entry/image per person
6. The maximum physical size of the artwork is A2 size (42cm x 60cm). All artwork must be framed ready to hang for the Autumn exhibition
7. All submissions must be available to be displayed and for sale in the live event in the Autumn. If the artwork cannot be easily dropped into NAC (from a date to be confirmed) then it will need to be posted.
8. Photographs should be printed on A4 or 10×8 format in time for the exhibition in the Autumn
9. All work will be displayed in the exhibition at the Newhampton Arts Centre in Autumn 2020. Date to be confirmed.
10. Photographers should be able to prove the photograph has been taken on that day.
11. All art works will be available for auction during the physical exhibition in the autumn within guidelines set by NAC: Minimum price of £10; maximum reserve of £100.
12. Artists will receive 50% of sale price. The remainder goes to the running of the event.
13. Unsold art works can be collected after the exhibition ends up until a date specified by NAC. Uncollected artwork will be disposed of.
14. Sales proceeds will be made available as soon as payment by winning buyer is made
15. All art works are eligible for the judged prizes and the public vote prize.
16. All art works by artists under 18 are eligible for an under 18 prize. (Proof of age may be required)
17. All photographs are eligible for the photography prize. There is an U18 photography prize also.
18. The judges prizes will be announced and presented during the exhibition. All work is judged anonymously
19. Photos of winning art works may be printed as postcards or in a calendar to promote the event and NAC. Permission will be sought from artists in advance.
20. Photos of the art works will be displayed on NAC website and social media.
21. Artists will be credited in all displays of their work.
We hope this is all clear. Feel free to talk to us if you have any queries or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org; 01902 572090.
Doors Open: 9am
Event Start: 9am
Advance Adult: £5
Advance Under 18: £2
Advance Family of Four: £10
On the Day Adult: £7.50
On the Day Under 18: £4
On the Day Family of Four: £15